Sunday, November 23, 2008

note

Sorting out architecture in your head is freaking hard. My sketchbook has a few more pages filled now... and I'm still not sure I'm happy with it, but at least I'm pretty sure it's all physically possible now! ugh.

Before you think that my vine-covered walls are completely ridiculous, this was actually my jumping-off point. I had a general idea of what I wanted, but googled for references, and when I saw this I was like YES! EXACTLY! and was happy. :) I think my decor has made the room a lot darker than that one, but it feels a bit cozier to me, and anyway it suits a Phisto a bit better. Well, this one, anyway. Anytime I'm not paying attention, Meres once lived here, but... I don't know if that makes sense for him to have done. The obsession with intricate details is very much him anyway. <3

About 1,100 words ahead again, which is fanfreakingtastic, since I have a hunch Thanksgiving is going to interfere with my nightly writing time.

I'm starting to think this story would make a better video game than a novel. I would absolutely love to walk around in this place, poking at things and finding little clues beneath the dust...

Further inspiration tonight came from this site, which turned up randomly as I was trying to figure out what kind of floors turn-of-the-century ballrooms would have had. I don't even know where this place is, somewhere around Great Britain, but this guy's trying to restore a pier and the old pavilion on it... the pavilion was built in the 1930s, and had an *amazing*, gorgeous art deco stained glass ceiling over part of it, which some horrible morons in the '60s COVERED UP. The place had been mostly empty for a few decades, and renovations in the '60s covered up a lot of the details, people had wallpapered over these incredible murals and things... It looks like it was a stunning place, and it's heartbreaking to see what happened to it, I'm so happy someone's working with such love to restore it. Even though it's, uh, highly unlikely I'll ever even be anywhere near it. I'm absolutely under its spell tonight.

...I only wish something like that had happened at Charlotte Beach back home, I'm so unbelievably thankful that the carousel is still there, but still haunted by the entire amusement park and waterfront area that once stood there.

No comments:

 

Written contents by Ananda Daydream | Missing You Blogger Template