Friday, November 7, 2008

note

This feels very strange to me. I think I've only had...two days so far, where I've had to battle my way up to the wordcount. And one of those days was election day, which I'm pretty sure distracted eeeeverybody.

But I've had an awful lot of days where it didn't feel hard at all to hit another 1,667 words - in fact I've gone over that several times without even really noticing. Given that it's only just now the end of the first week, and the first week is supposed to be the easy one, with weeks two and three being a constant battle, I'm not letting myself get *overly* confident here. I do think the laptop is helping IMMENSELY, no more time spent trying to decipher my own scrawl and type it all in, and I can still sit out on the back porch or work through my lunch breaks or whatever.

I really do feel pretty confident, though. This week has seen me get a much better grip on my main character - she's still a LOT like me, but, not quite. Caleb is not at all the kid I'd initially thought he'd be, but I think once we get to know him a bit better he might head back in that direction.

I actually have a vague plan for the next chunk of scenes!!! Apparently my success last year really did help me sort out how to make this whole thing work for me... lots of munchies and yummy things to drink, setting up a (mostly) distraction-free computer set up, having some nice fingerless gloves (I made new ones and I have got to post a picture sometime, they're pretty amazing)... oh, and telling EVERYONE I know that I'm doing this, so that I'd be insanely embarrassed to not make it to 50K. Also this year I discovered how much wearing silly hats really DOES aid the writing process.

...don't get me wrong, a lot of this is crap, my characters are pretty cliched, and I think the only bit that feels at all decent and inspired is the last bit I wrote today - though, uh, I need some better adjectives in there. Those can wait 'til Revision January. I'm not as lost in the world I'm creating as I was last year, at least not yet, but I suppose that's partly because so far Kris is basically living in the same world I am, I'm going off memory as much as imagination. But I reeaaallly really want to explore this house she's going to find, I'm so freaking curious as to what will turn up, that I refuse to let myself wimp out on getting there.

(Though I'm a little concerned, that I'm a quarter of the way through the month, and am only just now getting out of the introductory parts... thank goodness I have a plan for getting *out* of that section, though, unlike the NaNo I utterly failed at two years ago, which never got past it!)

No comments:

 

Written contents by Ananda Daydream | Missing You Blogger Template