Saturday, November 1, 2008

note

So I'd gotten a good two-page start on the novel on my lunch break at work today, when I realized... MY MAIN CHARACTER DID NOT HAVE A NAME. For all this fretting I've been doing over her, I DIDN'T KNOW HER FREAKING NAME. siiiiigh. My coworkers suggested I name her Casey, or Cass, or something along those lines, given that there's so many random commonalities between her and my coworker Casey. (And it really IS ridiculous. Like, last night, before falling asleep, I was randomly thinking about my character's hairstyle, I wanted something a little different. So I was thinking maybe dark hair, with a colored streak to one side near her face, but I was trying to think of a fresh variation of that, something you haven't seen a gazillion times before, maybe like a reddish-blonde streak in dark hair? I come in to work today, and what has Casey done but put dark streaks in her bleached-blond hair, near her face, all mixed in almost like Phisto-hair, PRETTY FREAKING CLOSE to the same lines I'd been thinking for my character. It's ridiculous.)

The little scene I wrote up in creative writing like two years ago, that gave me the (very, very vaguest) starting point for this, the photographer's name was Kris, which I still kind of like. I decided her parents wouldn't have been the ridiculously artsy creative type I am, so I scrounged up a list of the most common names for the year she was probably born, and picked from there.

Dude like half the names? were names that Kris would be a nickname for. :p

But I should still warn you that I may yet change her name to Alexis (Alex), which I think fits her overall look, but, currently, it is Kristin (Kris). NOT related to my middle name, that part is actually purely coincidence, she is definitely not a Kristine. I'm still not sure she's a Kristin, she might well be a Krystal or something. But Kris suits her.

So does Alex.

Thank God the lovely crew at NaNoWriMo offer a free kennel service for your Inner Editor for the month of November. I am totally free to change my main character's name whenever I so feel the need. XD

No comments:

 

Written contents by Ananda Daydream | Missing You Blogger Template